Healthy for Life at Indiana University of Pennsylvania
The most important thing about a “healthy diet” is that it fits your life, fosters good health, and sustains the maintenance of a stable and healthy body weight. IUP. Dining provides you with meals that are filled with fresh, flavorful, and satisfying foods that you will love. We make good-for-you seem right-for-you! If you have a specialized dietary request, please contact the manager of that location. Contact information is available on the contact us tab. for general information.
Our on staff registered dietitian and on campus nutritional specialist are here to help take the mystery out of healthy eating! For more information or assistance with food allergies or dietary restrictions, students are invited to schedule a meeting with Michelle Richard MS, RD, LDN at 724-357-2570 or firstname.lastname@example.org or our on campus nutritional specialist: Justine Hrzic at 724-357-1911 or email@example.com, Justine can also be found at Folger Dining Hall .
Three Steps for Eating Well with Food Allergies, Intolerances and Special Diets
Here’s our step-by-step process on eating well at IUP. Dining when you have a specialized diet:
#1. Meet with IUP Dining Dietitian, Michelle Richard MS, RD, LDN, or our on campus nutritional specialist, Justine Hrzic, to discuss food options in more detail and to take a personal tour of dining locations so that you can get to know the chefs and location managers of the locations you most frequent. Through this team approach, students are encouraged to take accountability for their own safety in the context of receiving support amidst a “family kitchen” atmosphere.
#2. Get to know what we offer across campus:
Made without Gluten selections at IUP Folger Dining Hall
• Hawk Hub - Special Dietary Needs Station o Examples of foods available include: pizza crust, chicken tenders, pancakes, waffles, bagels, corn dogs, chicken nuggets, soups: Hot ‘n Spicy, tomato basil and roasted garlic, chicken or bean burritos, pretzels, crackers, cookies and popcorn
• Sandwich Artisan and Global Grill o Made without gluten breads, muffins and tortillas
• Pasta La Vista o Made without gluten pasta
• Cereal o Made without gluten cereals
All made without gluten items on other stations throughout the servery are highlighted in purple on the menu boards and identified with “Made without Gluten Icons”
• Examples of items found throughout the servery include: Mediterranean salad, garlic parmesan potatoes, turkey patties, Caribbean coconut rice, California roll, tuna roll and spicy California roll
• Sandwich Shack o Made without gluten breads
• Burger Studio o Made without gluten buns • Fire Place o Made without gluten pasta o Made without gluten pizza
• Hey Pickle o Made without gluten breads
• Pastabilities o Made without gluten pasta Putt and Wallwork P.O.D. Markets
• Both P.O.D. Markets have a variety of prepacked goods available for purchase that are made without gluten
• Made without gluten sandwiches are also available in the bagged lunch program.
• Subway offers made without gluten bread
* Even foods commonly prepared without gluten containing ingredients may not be ‘gluten-free’. Our recipes are prepared in open kitchens where cross-contact is possible and where ingredient substitutions are sometimes made.
Common Food Allergens:
Peanut allergies: Bulk peanut butter is served in the residential dining halls. Peanut products,including peanut butter, are ingredients used in several of our recipes. Students with a peanut allergy are advised to take caution with bakery items. Peanut oil is not used as an ingredient in our recipes, except for Chick-fil-A.
Tree Nut allergies: Tree nuts may be present in select dessert items. Students with a tree nut allergy are advised to take caution with bakery items and any menu items that contain pesto, coconut or coconut milk.
Fish allergies: Beyond entrées and mixed dishes that contain fish or shellfish as a main component, please use caution when selecting Asian dishes where fish or shellfish may be included in sauces.. Additionally, some gravies and barbeque sauces may contain Worcestershire sauce which also contains fish. Students with fish allergies are asked to check the menus and full ingredient listings.
Shellfish allergies: Beyond entrées and mixed dishes that contain fish or shellfish as a main component, please use caution when selecting Asian dishes where fish or shellfish may be included in sauces. Additionally, some gravies and barbeque sauces may contain Worcestershire sauce which also contains fish. Students with shellfish allergies are asked to check the menus and full ingredient listings.
Soy allergies: Soybean oil is present in a large variety of products, most notably our cooking and frying oil. While studies have shown that highly refined soy oil is safe to consume for most with a soy allergy, if a medical professional has noted that you have a severe allergy, you should consider alternate options.
Milk allergies: A non-dairy milk option is available every day in residential dining facilities. However, milk and milk-based products are ingredients used in many of the menu items served. Items prepared with butter or margarine should be avoided.
Egg allergies: Many of our baked goods and desserts contain eggs. However, desserts such as fruit crisps and gelatin parfaits do not contain eggs. Students are asked to take caution with all baked goods and are encouraged to check ingredient labels of items they wish to eat. Wheat allergies: We offer a selection of deli meats and salad dressings that do not contain gluten. Please see above for more information on made without gluten options.
#3. The last step is simply taking charge of your health – we are here to partner with you and keep you nourished, safe and happy at IUP. Students are always welcome to come into the kitchen and read ingredient labels and talk to our culinary team about being safe in our residential dining facilities. Please do not hesitate to contact us to start the conversation. We also welcome feedback from current students and parents so that we can improve the program for all students on campus.